[Cake] cake flenter results round 3

Pete Heist peteheist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:18:30 EST 2017

http://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/cake/round3/ <http://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/cake/round3/>

Round 3 Tarball: http://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/cake/round3.tgz <http://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/cake/round3.tgz>

*** Notes/Analysis ***

* And another couple hundred tests showing Cake doesn’t crash, at 20/20mbit either!

* I’m now using netns (thanks Dave/Georgios) with a five box setup: client, client router, delay, server router and server. Delay is set up to simulate a 20mbit/20mbit symmetric connection with “bandwidth 20mbit delay 10ms” on each of its two interfaces. That apparently doesn’t hard limit the bandwidth, but no matter, I do get a 20ms RTT as expected, and any tests with rate limiting use a default limit of 18mbit, which seems to control the queue well. The unlimited tests can probably be ignored.

* Now that my CPU can actually run this test, Cake shows good results vs fq_codel on 32/32 nflows:

http://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/cake/round3/nflows_32_32_eg_fq_codel_18.0mbit/index.html
http://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/cake/round3/nflows_32_32_eg_cake_18.0mbit/index.html

* OWD, IPDV (jitter) and lost packets looking good for a VoIP conversation with dual-whatever. The VoIP conversation is simulated along with a normal RRUL test (4/4 flows), a torrent, and tcp_12down simultaneously (family of four?)

http://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/cake/round3/flowiso_mix_eg_cake_dsrc_cake_ddst_18.0mbit/voip-voip_delay_loss.svg

*** Round 4 Plans

* All I can do easily with this setup without more effort is vary rtt, bandwidth, loss or whatever else netem can do. Or I can add other tests with spreads of parameters. Sorry, no asymmetric rates or useful ack filtering tests. Anyone care for high rtt tests, low bandwidth tests like 2/2mbit, or anything else in particular?