[Cake] best way at getting at tcp ack data?

Noah Causin n0manletter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 23:17:12 EDT 2017

After reading about ACK filtering, I have an idea and wonder if it is
possible.  I only have basic knowledge about the TCP protocol.

Instead of dropping TCP data packets, would it be possible to drop
normal ACK packets to signal congestion?

The sender would see that ACK packets are missing and slow down its
transmission rate and re-transmit the data packets it thought were
lost.  Since the client has already received the packets beforehand, the
application would not experience packet loss, and TCP would simply
re-acknowledge the packets and discard the copies.

Could this be used to create a pseudo-lossless congestion notification
scheme, since the client would not see any packet loss, which could be
beneficial for certain applications?

Noah