[Cake] Cake not more CPU efficient than HTB+FQ-CoDel (anymore)?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:59:59 EDT 2018

> On 11 Apr, 2018, at 8:47 pm, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
>>> Also would be nice to get a measure of the smoothness of the
>>> shaper; will see if I can't extract that from a pcap file or
>>> something
>>
>> I remember using tcptrace for that purpose, once upon a time.
>
> Yup, that was my plan as well. Just not sure whether it has a metric
> that is better than "look, the graph is smoother"... ;)

It does have a throughput graph available.  However, this is based on raw inter-packet spacing, so it'll have line-rate bursts interspersed by very short gaps if Cake experiences any scheduling latency greater than the serialisation delay of one MTU.

The best counter to that might be to select a low rate, so that the serialisation delay is 1-2ms or so.  It should then be easy to contrast with HTB's behaviour at that same rate.