[Cake] A few puzzling Cake results

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Apr 18 13:10:49 EDT 2018

On April 18, 2018 6:34:47 PM GMT+02:00, Georgios Amanakis <gamanakis at gmail.com> wrote:
>Would making it active only for the 'ingress' mode be an option?
>
>Otherwise it has to be documented that when using ingress mode with
>lots of
>bulk flows on <20mbit/s the actual goodput is going to be less than the
>set
>one (eg for 9.8mbit/s set, 5.3 mbit/s actual).

That seems to be not the best way to think about this IMHO.
Normal mode will restrict the gross rate of packets leaving cake while ingress mode tried to restrict the gross rate of incoming packets. The effect on a net measure like to/up goodput seems like it should just be a secondary goal. Again, I might be off my rocker here, but I really think that cake should make sense on the gross rate level first...