[Cake] A few puzzling Cake results

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Apr 19 05:26:24 EDT 2018

Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> writes:

>> your solution significantly hurts performance in the common case
>
> I'm sorry - did someone actually describe such a case?  I must have
> missed it.

I started this whole thread by pointing out that this behaviour results
in the delay of the TCP flows scaling with the number of active flows;
and that for 32 active flows (on a 10Mbps link), this results in the
latency being three times higher than for FQ-CoDel on the same link.

This was the message:
https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cake/2018-April/003405.html

And this graph, specifically:
https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cake/attachments/20180417/1e56d8f3/attachment-0002.png

It's even worse for 64 flows, obviously; and there's no change in
goodput.

-Toke