[Cake] Diffserv LLT mode

Pete Heist pete at eventide.io
Sat Apr 21 04:44:19 EDT 2018

> On Apr 19, 2018, at 4:50 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Is anyone actually using the LLT diffserv setting?

I re-tested diffserv-llt quickly using the current head of cake and tc-adv and am confused by something:

http://drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/cake/round5/diffserv_rrul_eg_cake_ds-llt_50mbit/index.html

When I look at the qdisc stats for cake, there are 5 tins: Low Loss, Best Effort, Low Delay, Bulk and Net Control. Shouldn’t the Low Delay tin have its target and interval reduced to something below 5ms and 100ms? And the bulk tin has a target and interval of 5.8ms and 100.8ms(?)

In short, I forget how diffserv-llt was supposed to work, regardless of whether or not it’s on the chopping block. No need for a history lesson if it will be removed… :)

Improved intra-flow latency could be useful for HTTP/2 or other things, but I don’t see how the current llt mode helps most ordinary people with that, when it would only apply to flows with certain diffserv markings, and doesn’t seem to adjust the target and interval anyway…