[Cake] Pre-print of Cake paper available

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Apr 24 05:38:24 EDT 2018

Hi Toke,

> On Apr 24, 2018, at 11:30, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> writes:
> [...]
>>>
>>> I don't think we can make assumptions on ISP deployments.
>>
>> Sure we do not really need to:
>> https://forum.lede-project.org/t/transparent-cake-box/2161/4?u=moeller0
>> and
>> https://forum.lede-project.org/t/lede-as-a-dedicated-qos-bufferbloat-appliance/1861/14?u=moeller0
>> so it looks like one person already use cake in an small ISP context.
>> Now 1 is not a very convincing number, but certainly larger than
>> zero...
>
> Well I just meant that there are many ways to deploy a shaper in an ISP
> context (centrally in the network, at the next hop from the customer,
> etc).

	Ah, sorry, I fully agree; and if ISPs are interested they should start talking; I just wanted to report the one case where cake seems to be used in an ISP-ish context.

> Looking at those threads, they seem to be increasing the number of
> queues. Not sure they need to, but, well, there's nothing in principle
> that says this couldn't be configurable (it is in FQ-CoDel). It would
> need a bit of a reorg of the current code, though, so that would be a
> thing for later I guess...

	I had hoped that orangetek could be convinced to do measurements with different number of queues to answer that question, but I guess the current default of 1000 queues is decent for a typical homenet, but will simply become a bit tight with 600 concurrent households (I assume that its the peak usage that would want more queues on the "back-haul", on average 1000 might still be okay, especially with Jonathan's clever set associativity design)