[Cake] ebpf policing?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:12:45 EDT 2018

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 4:41 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Writing a modern policer in ebpf is feasible. it's got nsec
> timestamping, counters, threads, lots of potential parallelism. Loops
> that have to be carefully bound. The worst possible config api. A nice
> statistics export system.
>
> Classic policers use token buckets, but anyone up for codel,
> time_per_byte, framing awareness and deficits, and a little aqm?

:crickets: :)

I started taking a stab at writing a straight tc filter for this,
trying to learn enough about how the tc filter subsystem works
today - like, can you scribble on a packet? Can you keep local state?
What's this rcu thing do?
Are the existing rate estimators useful? Etc.

Something totally unready for eyeballs, but compiles, is at:

https://github.com/dtaht/bobbie

> --
>
> Dave Täht
> CEO, TekLibre, LLC