[Cake] 900mbit tbf + fq_codel vs cake on the apu2

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Wed Aug 22 12:08:35 EDT 2018

> On Aug 22, 2018, at 5:10 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> adding a basic shaper to fq_codel itself is kind of trivial. You need
> to check if you are shaping
>
> this was 40% faster than tbf + fq_codel in the good ole days and I

Aha, ok, I didn't there was that much to be gained in serial performance.

> versions of cake... dunno. I *personally* need an inbound shaper that
> cracks 120mbit on mips hardware.

The FreeNet guys upgraded our sector to AC last week, so I switched to a PowerBeam AC (wrecked my legs straddling the peak of a 45 degree roof for half a day). Anyway, I would also like if my ER-X (32-bit mips) had some more headroom to run something codel-like. It can do it, but it starts to struggle. Mine is currently an htb+cake setup.

> I hadn't thought about additionally parallelizing the workload (which
> has problems like adding way more queues than I'd like) much.

I thought there was already some discussion about that wrt lockless qdisc support, which doesn’t mean adding more queues, or multiple qdisc instances, does it? Perhaps my understanding of what that does and use of the term “smp” was loose...