[Cake] COBALT implementation in ns-3 with results under different traffic scenarios

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 07:48:47 EST 2018

> On 21 Dec, 2018, at 12:37 pm, Shefali Gupta <shefaligups11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In the meantime, we have added the following plots to our wiki:
>
> 1. Number of packet drops per time interval
>
> Link: https://github.com/Daipu/COBALT/wiki/Proactive-Drop-Count-per-time-interval-graphs
>
> 2. A file showing the timestamp of each drop
>
> Link: https://github.com/Daipu/COBALT/wiki/Drop-Timestamp-Files

Interesting - but very very odd.  COBALT is apparently not behaving anything like as designed.

As an immediate point, the first drop occurs 2 whole seconds later than either Codel or PIE, which is completely at odds with the excellent control of the initial slow-start phase seen in other graphs.

I took the timestamp files, dumped them into a spreadsheet column each, and plotted 1/(T(n)-T(n-1)) for each drop event against the raw timestamps.  This yields a view of the instantaneous drop frequency.  Because PIE sometimes drops multiple packets at once, yielding very high values here, I truncated the Y-axis at 1000 Hz.

The Codel implementation shows the expected behaviour of a linear ramp of drop frequency over time during its dropping phases.  The COBALT implementation does not.  Indeed, during a single phase, COBALT's dropping frequency appears to vary chaotically, as if it is implementing random-drop instead of timed drops.