[Cake] Backporting 'tc class' support

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Sun Jul 15 18:41:34 EDT 2018

> On 15 Jul 2018, at 21:23, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> writes:

>>> Ah, right, thanks! Fixed in master :)
>>
>> And now that I’ve run it, with Georgios’ help (I’ve never played with
>> tc filters before!) I’ve fallen over a wrinkle:
>>
>> So using sqm-scripts I have my standard cake instances on eth0 and
>> ifb4eth0, both using diffserv3 <<— diffserv3 is important. This
>> creates according to tc -s qdisc Bulk, Best Effort & Voice tins.
>> (where is he going with this?)
>>
>> For ‘fun’ I wanted to classify stuff incoming to my bittorrent port as
>> Bulk.  So you’d think that "tc filter add dev ifb4eth0 parent 8011:
>> protocol ip u32 match ip dport 6981 0xffff action skbedit priority
>> 8011:1” would do the trick.  8011:1 being the target tin.  Whilst
>> syntactically correct you’d be disappointed by the result
>> ‘cos…..diffserv3 & 4 put the bulk traffic in tin 2 although tc
>> displays it as the first tin.
>
> Yeah, the tins are displayed in a different order than they are indexed.
> See the bulk_order and normal_order definitions. Basically, the first
> two are switched.
>
> It's not actually obvious which is the right thing to do here? Use the
> classifier output as the tin index, or modify it by the tin order... In
> fact, I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the tin_order is in the
> first place…

IIRC in the old days tin 0 was always a 100% rate tin and bandwidth usage was charged to all lower tins, thus it would have been a bad idea to have bulk as being 100% rate, hence the swap for ‘bulk tin’ diffserv patterns.

That is no longer the case, see commits 423112e,  4f62bd1 and 008a276 at least :-)

AFAICT the tin order makes no difference whatsoever these days, indeed the dequeue mechanism picks up from the last tin and spins around rather than starting at either 0 or highest tin each time.