[Cake] Removing kmod-sched-cake package from openwrt

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Jul 19 12:08:38 EDT 2018

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> writes:

> Hiya Chaps,
>
> Bet that subject woke you up!
>
> This is one for the back burner but I’d like to do it at some point,
> mainly ‘cos my name is in the maintainer field :-)
>
> Ideally I’d like to introduce cake as a kernel patch backport to
> openwrt instead of as an additional module. I’ve started out but my
> biggest stumbling block is over the conditional conntrack stuff we
> added to netfilter. The mechanism (of course) has completely changed
> between v4.18 and anything earlier and I’m quite frankly lost!
>
> Any assistance or clue on doing this pre v4.18 would be appreciated.
> I’m ok slogging through the ifdef kernel version stuff and
> changing/re-introducing for the backport… but the conditional
> conntrack has me beaten.

Yeah, considered doing a backport patch to the kernel in openwrt. But I
concluded it was not worth the trouble, since we already have a working
module from the main repo.

If you do want to go the kernel patch route, it's a matter of figuring
out which patches you'll need to add to the backport series. Basically,
figure out which parts of the patch doesn't work, run git blame on the
file it is being applied to, and find the previous patch that changes
the context. Add that to you stack of backported patches, and rinse and
repeat until your series applies.

Your call whether that is less work that keeping your name on the
maintainer list until Openwrt naturally progresses past kernel 4.19 :)

-Toke