[Cake] inbound cake or fq_codel shaping fails on cable on netflix reno

Arie nospam at ariekanarie.nl
Sat Jul 21 19:10:17 EDT 2018

 You're now the third person where I've seen the hping3 trick work, I'm
pretty pleased it's with Mr Bufferbloat himself ;)

I figured this out by accident some time ago. I used fq_codel and later
cake to keep people happy at a small LAN party where 10 people shared a
40Mbit DOCSIS connection. Year after year we kept renting the same vacation
homes, with the same old Cisco EPC3295 cable modems. We used to bring some
weird pfsense box with tons of custom game-based rules to keep latencies
under control, but we just replaced that with an openwrt box running
fq_codel one day, way simpler and better latencies (thank you and the other
bufferbloat people!)

Suddenly one year, my openwrt/cake box was no longer able to keep the
latency under control and people started complaining. I noticed that while
an upload was running, the latency was fine (despite someone hogging the
downstream with big downloads). As soon as the upload stopped, the big
download started to cause ping spikes again.
After some testing, I was able to use the hping3 trick to send the minimum
needed upstream traffic to keep pings low, LAN party saved.

Meanwhile on my home connection I used a similar DOCSIS modem. I'd always
been able to just shape my connection close to the advertised rates. One
day, latencies (and DSLReports bufferbloat score) got bad. Interestingly,
flent RRUL results reported lower latencies during the test run than during
the idle period before and after the test. Again I could use the same
hping3 trick to "fix" it. I've asked the bufferbloat mailing list to see if
anyone knew what was going on, but nothing came of it.
My ISP kept pushing new DOCSIS modems, so I took my chances despite it
using a puma 6 chipset (TG2492LG). This one is fine without the hping
trick, just like my old modem used to be.

Here's what I learned about some cable modems with my particular ISP
(Ziggo, the Netherlands) in my specific region:
Cisco EPC3212 (DOCSIS 3.0 8x4), used to work fine, now gets big latency
spikes regardless of the shaped rate.
Technicolor 7200 (DOCSIS 3.0 8x4), still works fine.
Arris  TG2492LG (DOCSIS 3.0 24x8), shaping works just fine, latency is
under control, but it has a puma 6 chip which causes latency spikes in TCP
and ICMP packets. UDP does not seem to be affected.