[Cake] inbound cake or fq_codel shaping fails on cable on netflix reno

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:47:39 EDT 2018

I wish vumatel the best of luck. One thing that still will help the
fiber networks is applying fq_* derived algoritms.

This is cake vs sonic (gpon) fiber in san francisco. They have a
totally reasonable (60ms) buffer in their ONT, cut to... well... the
result I get is even less latency loaded than unloaded:

http://www.taht.net/~d/sonic_106_cake_vs_default.png

In my mind fq techniques merely on the up on fiber onts will make a
huge difference in perceived QoE, and the marketing department can
keep claiming it's fiber bandwidth that counts to consumers.

FIOS uses actiontec. I haven't picked apart what kernels the use in a
couple years.

http://opensource.actiontec.com/

(hey verizon FIOS? gfiber? you listening?)
On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 9:45 AM Tristan Seligmann
<mithrandi at mithrandi.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 at 17:26 Jonas Mårtensson <martensson.jonas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 4:56 PM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Great info, thx. Using this opportunity to rant about city-wid
>>> networks, I'd have done something so different
>>> than what the governments and ISPs have inflicted on us, substituting
>>> redundancy for reliability.
>>>
>>> I'd have used bog standard ethernet over fiber instead of gpon.
>>

>> Well, in Sweden 100% of ftth connections are standard active ethernet instead of gpon (and more than 60% of fixed connections are ftth).
>

> Here in South Africa, we have one provider (Vumatel) deploying AE, and everyone else doing GPON :/

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619