[Cake] inbound cake or fq_codel shaping fails on cable on netflix reno

Ryan Mounce ryan at mounce.com.au
Mon Jul 23 22:50:38 EDT 2018

On 24 July 2018 at 11:59, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Sorry, brain dead today and didn't properly read your original email.
>> I have now got flent up and running on macOS, see attached unshaped +
>> 80% ingress shaped results.
>
> Nice! thx. Do you remember what fast.com reported for these two tests?

Unloaded 5ms. 80% shaped was ~8ms loaded throughout the whole test.
Unshaped was ~95ms.

Also attached another test for this connection, with my usual
configuration shaping ingress at 99% link capacity.

> I think it's P75 latency. P98 would be better.
>
> Also, do you know of a good hosting facility we could use to dump a
> flent server in australia?

Hosting and bandwidth remain relatively expensive in Australia,
although things have improved as the cost of, and dependency upon
international traffic has dropped. This does not change the fact that
Australia is an expensive country in general. Sydney still remains the
centre of the Australian internet in terms of peering and
international connectivity.

Personally I have have had nothing but good experience with Ransom IT
for virtual servers. They do not run their own network, but they have
good upstreams in each location.
https://www.ransomit.com.au/australian-vps/

Vultr is a cheaper option, can't vouch for them though.