[Cake] Using cake to shape 1000’s of users.

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 11:04:09 EDT 2018

I'm lovin this discussion.

a couple notes:

1) IF you go the full monty and create an isp oriented qdisc, for
gawd's sake come up with a googleable name.
Things like pie, cake, bobbie, tart are good codenames, fq_codel
horrific, "streamboost" is a canonical example of a great name. At the
moment I'm rather liking what can be done with ebpf and the new tc
priority stuff and for all I know a veth + cake per subscriber works
and thus not feeling the need to rework cake itself. But keep
brainstorming and gathering requirements! It would be good to talk at
a WISP convention, and to folks like wlan-sloviena, guifi and freifunk
as to the problems they have currently.

2) per host allocations based on macaddr rather than IP works on many
network types, and is cheaper than hashing, and essentially required
if you

3) It would be good to look into offloadable hw in general at this
point, like bigfoot, cavium, mellonox, etc. It's not actually sender
side processing that worries me all that much, it's the rx path.

4) anybody for timer wheels?