[Cake] Using cake to shape 1000’s of users.

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 11:51:58 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM Dan Siemon <dan at coverfire.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-07-26 at 08:48 -0700, Dave Taht wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 8:46 AM Dan Siemon <dan at coverfire.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Tiny bit of self promotion here but Preseem (
> > > https://www.preseem.com)
> > > is a transparent bridge that leverages HTB/FQ-CoDel to make
> > > subscriber plan enforcement provide much better QoE. Leaving
> > > enforcement up to the deep queues in most network equipment has
> > > comparably very bad results. We focus on WISPs but we have
> > > customers that provide service via DSL and cable as well.
> >
> > AWESOME. I am curious as to how high you can scale currently?
> > (subscribers, bandwidths)
>
> Since our boxes are low cost, we tend towards slightly more distributed
> deployments with smaller boxes.
>
> However, a i7-7700 w/ X710 NICs can do about 4Gb/sec with 4000
> subscribers with ~25% CPU usage.

(I'm really behind on email)

I'd like to know what the same level processor can do (rx) with
higher end cards than that. Toke was getting > 50gbit outbound with
a single cake instance.

That's also pretty low end. On the high end nowadays there's stuff like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Xeon-E5-2698-Hexadeca-core-Processor/dp/B00PDD1QES

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619