[Cake] lanman2018 cake talk ideas

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 03:12:48 EDT 2018

> On 23 Jun, 2018, at 8:35 am, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> * really hate the cake_dst/src/triple isolate graph and wish we had a
> better way to express it. pie chart?

Pie chart is a good idea for that one.  Even better if it was a cake chart.

For the "evil" host, I recommend a gaming PC downloading an update through Wargaming's launchers (World of Tanks/Warships/Warplanes).  I believe they use libtorrent, but practically all of the bandwidth is supplied in practice by "web seeds", and the active flow count per downloading host is typically in the hundreds, each to a different IP address in WG's CDN.  At that level, end-to-end congestion control simply does not work without network assistance, which Cake happily provides.

Another local host could be running a videoconference session to two or three remote callers simultaneously, while a third simply downloads something with a single stream.