[Cake] lanman2018 cake talk ideas

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Jun 26 04:34:29 EDT 2018

Hi Dave,

just a few comments:

slide 17: it is not fully clear that this is about downstream only, especially "sch_cake can (with perfect framing) be at the same setpoint as the upstream, while still taking back control of the link, with better queuing." is confusing me. Isn't the  setpoint for each direction determined by the available bandwidth, so having up and downstream at the same setpoint requires a symmetrical link (aka an unicorn link in the context of residential uplinks). Or are you talking about the  same _percentage_ of the setpoint (which with cake's ingress mode should both be close to 100%).

slide 24: you might as well add Deutsche Telekom and it is Vodafone not Vodaphone, there see sa comma missing after Zyxel (it might make sense to move Zyxel to the other OEMs ODMs instead of into the ISPs).
Also lowet might be "lowest"?

slide 28 the GPON timeslice is 0.25 ms, it would be super intersting to look at the actual packet arrival/departure times of the latency probes, obviously not by 9 AM ;)

slide 29: not clear what this refers to, the last plot shoed total goodput, which should not care about the number of measurement flows (unless you mean more latency probe packets as these will "eat" into the bandwidth available for data packets) in other words I am confuzed ;)

slide 30: it would be nicer if the left and right plots would use the same axis segments...

> On Jun 26, 2018, at 08:58, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I got about, I don't know, 5? problematic slides, and it needs to get
> to 20 by 9AM EDT, it's 3AM and I'm gonna catch some zs.
>
> http://www.taht.net/~d/cake/sch_cake_ieee_lanman2018.odp
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have to get on the plane tomorrow night at midnight and I've tried
>> to capture some of your comments and ideas in:
>>
>> http://www.taht.net/~d/cake/sch_cake_ieee_lanman2018.odp
>>
>> It's in its usual mess at this point - usually I don't share stuff
>> this raw! but I'm totally open to text suggestions, graphics, etc,
>> etc, etc - there's the plane flight and more than a few days left to
>> pound it into shape and after I get a feel for the conference monday
>> will end up doing another pass before the talk tuesday. What to say on
>> each slide is helpful (jokes appreciated, a lot of what I've had to
>> say so far is dripping with sarcasm which I know doesn't translate
>> well).
>>
>> I think focusing on per host fq is probably the strongest point to
>> develop and I kind of wanted a diagram of a whole bunch
>> of different host types and graphically illustrating what happens vs
>> fifo, fq_codel, and cake.
>>
>> off to pack
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 1:05 AM Pete Heist <pete at heistp.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Jun 22, 2018, at 9:45 AM, Felix Resch <fuller at beif.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> ... has no Wikipedia page yet ...
>>>

>>> here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Megabit_myth
>>>

>>> Thanks! Now the problem is solved. :)
>>>
>>> I only had some second thoughts, and let’s get this right and be consistent, is it:
>>>
>>> 1) Megabit myth
>>> 2) Megabits myth