[Cake] bufferbloat still misunderstood & ignored

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 20:26:18 EDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 28 Mar, 2018, at 10:32 pm, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The two line method is quite common among gamers.
>
> I'm pretty sure a single A&A ADSL connection costs less than two from a bargain-basement ISP, what with line rental factoring into the total price.  Of course, not everyone is lucky enough to live in the UK and thus have access to A&A (myself included).
>
> Something else to shoehorn into the Cake paper: as future work, an ISP-focused qdisc (or even a whole middlebox using commodity hardware) using a rearranged version of the technology proven in Cake.  Cake itself is focused on managing a single link, whereas an ISP must deal with many subscriber links (with a finite variety of service tiers) sharing a backhaul link, with the link interface hardware itself being unable to avoid bufferbloat or to share bandwidth fairly when congestion occurs.  The backhaul link might be to a local exchange, a shared cable medium, or a satellite hop.

Everything can be solved with one more level of indirection. In this
case a full solution would be to be able to cleanly pattern match
against nexthop mac, or the set of ipv4 and ipv6 addresses the
subscriber has, and feed each unique match into a queue that feeds
into a cake-like instance. A cake of cakes.

A partial solution could be one virtual interface per subscriber.

A finicky bit would be who to penalize when the underlying medium
(shared cable) is oversubscribed.

>  - Jonathan Morton

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com