[Cake] Cake vs fq_codel and c/burst on an ER-X bridge

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Tue Sep 11 14:27:30 EDT 2018

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 10:20 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What I "fixed" was on the apu2 with the burst/cburst change, I went
> from completely bottlenecked on one softirq to having 3 eat cpu, and
> from 400mbps to 900mbps. Now, that's a quad core and the e1000 (?)
> driver. The edgerouter X is a dual core, and you did see a small
> improvement in throughput, but I'd hoped for more.

That’s rather dramatic. When you do your tests, do you set the shaper to a high number and see how high actual throughput goes, or do you do it some other way? Just in case, I tried setting the ER-X to 350Mbit. htb+fq_codel topped out at 149Mbit, and with c/burst 96000 186 Mbit, so in both types of tests it was about a 25% increase, not small, but unfortunately not 2x!

Pete