[Cake] cake in dd-wrt

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 12:24:24 EDT 2019

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 5:09 AM Sebastian Gottschall
<s.gottschall at newmedia-net.de> wrote:

> :-) i'm following this list and yes we are working on bringing cake in :-)

Yea! thx for being on the list!

> is there any question behind this link from your side?

I just wanted to make people here aware that it was happening.

Is there a build now?

If I had any one principal request it would be to make sure the dd-wrt
gui (if one is made) exposes the link layer parameters. Getting the
framing wrong is about the biggest error I see in the deployment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjJW_s5gQ9Y

Other nifty cake features:

"wash" and "besteffort" are important on some cablecos that remark
traffic to CS1
"nat" is dang useful if you are natting
ack-filter helps on really slow asymmetric networks on the slow side only.

So, like, my defaults would be

in: nat wash besteffort # triple-isolate bandwidth X etc
out: nat ack-filter # if > 10x1 down/up ratio

And make sure the link layer settings are exposed in the gui. I really
don't know how much
"washing" is needed outside the cablecos, taking packet captures of
various isps to see how often
dscp bits are mangled nowadays would be good. besteffort on inbound
saves some on cpu.

Are you using the out of tree version or mainline? Out of tree has
some experimental SCE work
that I'd love to see tested at more scale but not actually shipped at this time.

Due to how cpu intensive cake can be (on inbound) I've been working on
a faster, less feature-full fq_codel, it's here:

https://github.com/dtaht/fq_codel_fast

I hate the idea of fq_codel one way, cake the other, but tbf +
fq_codel_fast seems to work well at
~1gbit on my apu2 and cake doesn't. I'd originally planned to try and
make a multi-core shaper out
of it, but sce distracted me....

Having more folk on board benching stuff on modern non-x86 platforms
would be good.

Another cake feature is that you can get all the benefits on a normal
ethernet (with bql) *without turning the shaper on* but we have not
benchmarked that either vs a vs fq_codel or fq_codel_fast

Have fun!

Here's the first paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1804.07617.pdf

> Sebastian
>
> Am 18.08.2019 um 18:33 schrieb Dave Taht:
> > https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5796

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740