[Cake] cake in dd-wrt

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Tue Aug 20 19:43:07 EDT 2019

Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> writes:

>> On 20 Aug, 2019, at 9:39 pm, Sebastian Gottschall <s.gottschall at newmedia-net.de> wrote:
>>
>> …a heavy bittorrent downloader will still steal the bandwidth of my scp session.
>
> If you can identify the Bittorrent packets, you can mark them CS1, and
> switch on Cake's "diffserv3" mode (as it is by default).  Then the
> Bittorrent packets will still be able to use full bandwidth if it's
> available, but will be limited to 1/16th of the total if there is
> contention.

I regard the whole CS1 thing as having never been particularly
successful for a variety of reasons - in particular because
we seemed to be the only ones attempting to use it with rigor.

I would like to patch in and submit "LE" support to mainline cake.

The RFC retires CS1 - which I wouldn't retire - but see:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8622.html

Also it seems like a good idea to also submit the NS bit
exclusion from the ack filter to mainline as well.