[Cake] [Cerowrt-devel] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-06 is in last call

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Aug 22 02:11:56 EDT 2019

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019, Dave Taht wrote:

> Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> writes:
>
>> Maybe attached patch is more comprehensive?
>
> Yep! why was diffserv8 5 in the first place?

"diffserve8 is 5"? I don't understand. Do you mean 001000?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3662

3.2.  PHB configuration

    Either a Class Selector (CS) PHB [RFC2474], an Experimental/Local Use
    (EXP/LU) PHB [RFC2474], or an Assured Forwarding (AF) PHB [RFC2597]
    may be used as the PHB for the LE traffic aggregate.  This document
    does not specify the exact DSCP to use inside a domain, but instead
    specifies the necessary properties of the PHB selected by the DSCP.
    If a CS PHB is used, Class Selector 1 (DSCP=001000) is suggested.

So CS1 is the original PHB for LE. However, it has problems and was never
really deployed and I was one who pushed for a specific codepoint within
000xxx for LE, that might have a chance to be deployed internet-wide.
000001 seems as good as any.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se