[Cake] pie in dd-wrt

Sebastian Gottschall s.gottschall at newmedia-net.de
Thu Aug 22 05:17:36 EDT 2019

Am 21.08.2019 um 23:39 schrieb Toke Høiland-Jørgensen:
> Sebastian Gottschall <s.gottschall at newmedia-net.de> writes:

>>> This is why I'm sqm we reduced the queued packet maximum m to around 1000, and also why cake has an explicit memlimit keyword.
>> yeah but does this help if fq_codel is hardcoded into mac80211? fq_codel
>> has a memlimit  keyword too btw. its fixed to 4MB. i reduced it to 256kb
>> on low memory architectures. no other way to get around OOM problems
>> mac80211  does always make use of fq_codel. it has a own build in
>> implementation
> The mac80211 implementation also has a memlimit parameter. You can set
> it through debugfs - 2MB would be:
>
> echo 2097152 > /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/aqm
>
> or through iw:
>
> iw phy phy0 set txq memory_limit 2097152
>
> The nl80211 attribute is called NL80211_ATTR_TXQ_MEMORY_LIMIT.
as i said i already modified mac80211 in a way that it sets sane memory
limits depending on the architecture. devices with just 32 mb ram run
only stable with 256kb memory limit.
so i configured different defaults. but the point is still that for a
standard user (lets say in openwrt) the current implementation is not
good. somewhere in the openwrt community i was reading that such devices
should not be used anymore for openwrt due the memory limitations. but
thats no solution for me if it was working before the introduction of
fq_codel in mac80211