[Cake] Trouble with CAKE

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at redhat.com
Sat Dec 14 07:59:35 EST 2019

Thibaut <hacks at slashdirt.org> writes:

>> On 14 Dec 2019, at 13:09, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 14 Dec, 2019, at 1:59 pm, Thibaut <hacks at slashdirt.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m wondering if this could be an “use of uninitialized data” type of bug.
>>
>> This is why I wouldn't keep working on an old kernel that's full of vendor patches.
>
> Forgive me for trying to use cake on a supported stable distro.
>
> All distros are full of vendor patches (OpenWRT is no exception). The
> subset of linux machines that use vanilla is ‘below measurable
> threshold’...

The Linux kernel development moves at a fairly rapid pace, and sadly
it's not practical to have fully supported backwards compatibility in a
community effort such as CAKE.

Now, this doesn't mean that we won't take patches to fix things for old
kernels; or even help with debugging on old versions, as you've already
seen in this thread. But the reality is unfortunately that the bulk of
this effort is going to have to be on the users running on those
kernels. I.e., you in this case. Such is open source: everyone scratches
their own itch and the end result is something that (mostly) works for
everyone :)

-Toke