[Cake] [Cerowrt-devel] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-06 is in last call

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Mon Feb 4 01:58:10 EST 2019

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> writes:

> On Sun, 3 Feb 2019, David P. Reed wrote:
>
>> This fairy story about traffic giving way to higher priority traffic
>> being a normal mode of operation is just that. A made up story,
>> largely used by folks who want to do selective pricing based on what
>> customers are willing to pay, not on value received. (that's a
>> business story,
>
> The point of PHB LE is so that the customer access shaper can
> background the customer LE traffic. It's not intended to be used by
> ISPs on their core links, it's intended for use on the customer access
> port.
>
> If the customer buys 10 megabit/s Internet access then it's beneficial
> for the customer if the software update download doesn't affect the
> netflix stream and the kids' gameplay. Thus why we're trying to
> differentiate between BE and LE. FQ or CAKE can solve the gameplay,
> but it can't make the netflix stream get 90% of the rest of the
> capacity and give 5% to the software download. LE marking the software
> download traffic can do that.

Well, (I just checked, let me know if you want the captures) comcast
still re-marks all codepoints it does not recognize, to become CS1,
including this one. So the smartest thing a comcast customer can do is
wash it out on entrance to their domain.

The second problem with LE in this direction is that you AND your
software download provider have to trust your ISP to not A) remark this
traffic B) maltreat it by introducing starvation tactics.

In the US, at least, there is no trust of the ISP to be had and it is
best to not mark your traffic at all. I don't think trust can ever be
obtained, here, at least.

Within and exiting your home domain, you might have some hope, but even
then I might lean to washing out your markings pending the death of NN.
(I have no idea how comcast's remarking policy escaped NN litigation in
the first place)

The best that I think can be hoped for is that your netflix stream gets
50% and your download 50% in this two host example. Which is what cake
does, without markings, and why the wash option exists in cake.

Certainly I'd like to see multi-stream downloads for non-critical
things like steam die a horrible death, and I'd like uploads to places
like dropbox to not kill your network.