[Cake] Dropping dropped

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 09:35:32 EST 2019

Adrian Popescu <adriannnpopescu at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've taken a look at cake's source code to see what simple changes could be
> made to attempt to speed it up. There seemed to be a per flow variable
> called dropped which might not be that useful for regular users. The
> attached patch removes it.

I appreciate the sentiment; however, we keep a lot of statistics for a
reason, and we don't want to just drop those. Besides, a single variable
increment is probably not going to make much difference for performance.

> Perhaps cake could be optimized further for slow devices. What's the
> recommended solution for profiling the kernel on mips with openwrt?

No doubt; however, I'd suggest going about it by actually measuring any
bottle-necks and working from there. The 'perf' tool works on openwrt
these days, I think; that would probably be a good place to start.

-Toke