[Cake] Dropping dropped

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 05:55:59 EST 2019

Adrian Popescu <adriannnpopescu at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 4:35 PM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Adrian Popescu <adriannnpopescu at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I've taken a look at cake's source code to see what simple changes could
>> be
>> > made to attempt to speed it up. There seemed to be a per flow variable
>> > called dropped which might not be that useful for regular users. The
>> > attached patch removes it.
>>
>> I appreciate the sentiment; however, we keep a lot of statistics for a
>> reason, and we don't want to just drop those. Besides, a single variable
>> increment is probably not going to make much difference for performance.
>>

> Perhaps this seemed I implied that it was more than an experiment or
> something meant to be merged. Is sharing a patch to start a conversation
> frowned upon?

Not at all. Just pointing out why this particular approach is probably
not going to get you that far :)

> The point is that low end routers can't run cake at high speeds. It
> doesn't make sense to buy more expensive hardware for home networks.

Yeah, I'm aware of the issue. However, I'm not too hopeful that it will
be possible to squeeze significantly more performance out of the old
hardware, sadly. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!

-Toke