[Cake] dual-src/dsthost unfairness, only with bi-directional traffic

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Jan 18 08:40:46 EST 2019

Hi Toke,

> On Jan 18, 2019, at 14:33, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Georgios Amanakis <gamanakis at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Yes, exactly. Would be interesting to hear what Jonathan, Toke and
>> others think. I want to see if fairness is preserved in this case with
>> sparse flows only. Could flent do this?
>
> Well, sparse flows are (by definition) not building a queue, so it
> doesn't really make sense to talk about fairness for them. How would you
> measure that?
>
> This is also the reason I agree that they shouldn't be counted for host
> fairness calculation purposes, BTW...

That leads to a question (revealing my lack of detailed knowledge) if there is a sufficient number of new flows (that should qualify as new/sparse) that servicing all of them takes longer than each queue accumulating new packets, at what point in time are these flows considered "unworthy" of sparse flow boosting? Or differetly how i cake going to deal with a UDP flood where the 5 tuple hash is different for all packets (say by spoofing ports or randomly picking dst addresses)?

Best Regards