Fw: Split-gso vs No-Split-gso

E Diable Si tehrslegend at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 12 04:37:24 EDT 2019

 Hi, i think Cake has some issues.
I've read multiple reports on CAKE SQM failing to do its job and massive bufferbloat.
They still can't find out whats the issue.
I used to have a WNDR3700v4 back in may 2019 and it worked fine, my brother then wanted me to revert back to oem settings and after a month and half i got a new router R7800 and for some reason it's failing to do the job with 2 cores rather than 1 core and more RAM & higher CPU frequency.
Can you please take a look at it.
1. Also, i'm not sure whether its openwrt or cake thats responsible for listing the link layer adaption but you guys say its 44.https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm-details
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/your-post-in-sqm-high-latency/40018/35

While on this site, it says to choose NONE if you have fiber.https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Setting_up_SQM_for_CeroWrt_310/
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/your-post-in-sqm-high-latency/40018/35

Articles on issues with Cake SQM:https://forum.openwrt.org/t/r7800-sqm-settings-keep-causing-bufferbloat/39720 <- This is my thread on my issue with the R7800. I also have a private message with mindwolf but can't send it to anyone as no option for sharing.
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/startup-initscripts-enabled-or-disabled-by-default-also-sqm-question/37364/7 <- Older article with my Wndr3700v4 router that was working great.
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/sqm-high-latency/1087/93
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/sqm-has-no-effect/39825
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/sqm-no-change-in-dslreports-test/37037

3. Below is a email i sent to Dave Taht because i believed maybe he could help me out with the split-gso setting, with it on by default in SQM even though you can't change it yourself in the GUI for OpenWrt, it caused me hours of headaches trying to figure out which setting is causing me massive bufferbloat.With no-split-gso i was getting less ping/ms bufferbloat in dslreports. I noticed with split-gso that with it enabled it felt a bit more less latency but dslreports indicated my pipelines are being hammered with traffic at 200-500ms.With no-split-gso i was getting maximum was 25ms. Please take a look at my thread.

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com>To: E Diable Si <tehrslegend at yahoo.com>Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 11:41:57 PM PDTSubject: Re: Split-gso vs No-Split-gso
 cake mailing list

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:49 PM E Diable Si <tehrslegend at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Didn't quite follow, if you meant mess with Cake settings, I've done that. I went with stock settings for CAKE, layer_cake.qos or piece_of_cake.qos and it did not perform well. Ihad issues with my bufferbloat tests reach from around 100ms and stayed around 250-450ms and peaks to 1100ms.
I did everything imo i could, my tests were inconclusive until mindwolf gave me some tips and advice by going at it by CLI rather than SQM in GUI and realized my issues has much to do with split-gso test.
If only i can send you a private message SHARED of what i sent to mindwolf, i would love to see if you can detect something i've missed, split-gso should be better for latency.
> Have you wondered that with some latency settings like split-gso, you actually can feel the less latency in your mouse movements?
It doesn't feel like your mouse skates are binding/sticking to your mouse pad.
I might redo my tests once more time with SQM in GUI and delete all commands from local startup.
Some said my issues had to do with my R7800 router as it has problems with the CPU freq dropping back to idle maybe causing the higher ping so i went with performance governor and been testing for 2 weeks.

> On Thursday, July 11, 2019, 02:26:19 PM PDT, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> sure, but interact with the cake list, not me?
>
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:15 PM E Diable Si <tehrslegend at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've read your tests but i got something totally different. Could you take a look?
> >
> > Is there any way i can send you the private messages i had with another user on openwrt forums to take a look at the test i performed because i got tons of bufferbloat right after i enabled split-gso. With SQM in LuCI GUI, it doesn't perform right for me. I keep getting massive ping spiking to 200ms-1000ms.
> >
> > https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cake/2018-July/004182.html
>

> --
>
> Dave Täht
> CTO, TekLibre, LLC