[Cake] [Bloat] The "Some Congestion Experienced" ECN codepoint - a new internet draft -

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 15:30:30 EDT 2019

> On 10 Mar, 2019, at 9:08 pm, Holland, Jake <jholland at akamai.com> wrote:
>
> It's easy to accidently read section 5 as underspecified concrete
> proposals instead of rough sketches for future direction that might
> be worth investigating.

This is something I noticed as well, and have edited to match the intended tone of the document (which is to leave specific implementation details to other documents, and to focus on the information conveyed).

> New SCE-aware receivers and transport protocols must continue to

I had already changed this to SHOULD, among other edits.

> "Some" in "Some Congestion Experienced" is maybe misleading, and
> arguably has the same meaning as "Congestion Experienced".
>
> I was thinking maybe "Pre-Congestion Experienced" or "Queue
> Utilization Observed", or if you want to preserve "SCE" and the
> link to CE (which I do agree is nice), maybe "Slight" or "Sub"
> instead of "Some", just to try to make it more obvious it's
> flagging a lesser situation than "there is some congestion".

An interesting idea, but SCE marks will appear even when there's a lot of congestion (at high rates, ie. probably every packet that doesn't carry CE), as well as showing up at low frequency when the level of congestion only warrants reducing the growth rate.  I think the word "Some" is sufficiently descriptive, while "Slight" might cause people to ignore it completely.

I think other points are less urgent to address in the first submission.