[Cake] The two SCE tests I have in mind

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Sun Mar 24 07:05:29 EDT 2019

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 9:55 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1) The research into whether bit flipping to the extent that SCE will
> do has not been done yet. The study of ECT(0) vs ECT(1) behavior
> transiting to CE was a little lightweight.
>
> To test this we going to fire up a ton of nanodes in various data
> centers, with low SCE thresholds, and low bandwidths, to flip lots of
> bits, and test between the data centers and from as many vantage
> points around the net as we can get - do packet captures as well as
> flent tests
>
> as a control, set up identical boxes, with SCE disabled, in the same
> data centers.
>
> Setup flent, irtt, iperf3.

Sounds good, I’ll offer my home setup with a couple APU2s as a “residential WISP” vantage point. I was unable to access it with OpenVPN from the boat but I’ll sort that out before I go.

> 2) Diffserv bit preservation test
>
> The research going by on the tsvwg mailing seems a bit dated. It is
> very straightforward to use irtt to test to see what udp codepoints
> survive e2e, and to also leverage this testbed setup. Similarly,
> netperf can easily be used to mark tcp. We do not have a good packet
> cap tool to verify that the bits are being set right, however I think
> irtt can be modified to check for correctness here and produce a
> report.

The irtt server knows what codepoint was negotiated and could easily emit a log message if incoming packets don’t match, but unfortunately the codepoint of incoming packets is not available without using a raw conn (requires root). We’ll want that anyway for UDP lite and I’ll see what’s possible tonight, but for now we can also just use a simple tcpdump filter like this:

tcpdump -r file.pcap udp port 2112 and greater 80 and "ip[1] != 0x1”

“greater 80” ignores the handshake packets and 0x1 is whatever TOS value we want to make sure the packets contain. We can use different filters for other traffic.