[Cake] The two SCE tests I have in mind

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 08:33:32 EDT 2019

I made two goofs in this post.

--te=download_streams=10

and the server and client need to be negiotiating ecn:

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Enable_ECN/

So far as I know the OSX section is out of date, osx always negotiates
ecn now. I do not have data on ios's current configuration of ecn
enablement.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 3:30 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 10:30 AM Luca Muscariello
> <luca.muscariello at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > We have done something like that a year ago in our team in Cisco
> > for a project that you Dave are aware of but that is out of scope for these lists.
> >
> > It is important to have vantage points in residential and enterprise networks.
>
> It is hard to get dedicated testing points in those networks. However
> providing tools so more volunteers can participate in a larger test
> has always proven worthwhile.
>
> > Cloud to Cloud never goes to transit and the big Clouds have global footprints.
> > So you can traverse the planet inside the Cloud WAN (100% bit consistency) and then traverse a safe peering
> > point where the adjacency  has been well set (or not).
>
> cloud to cloud should be interesting.
>
> Anyway, the first sce enabled version of cake for public testing is
> now up at cake-sce-de.teklibre.net. (dns still propigating) It is rate
> limited to 40Mbits and thus with 10 flows going, self congests and
> thus marks with both SCE and CE. Inititial tests across our cloudy
> backbone have been good, no reordering, no drops, while SCE marking
> like crazy. The needed code to setup your own server is in my github
> sch_cake and tc-adv repos.
>
> We hope to roll that out over linode, google cloud, and aws over the
> coming days.
>
> A typical test right now, looks like this:
>
> # server side install if you want to set up your own test server
> # after an:
>
> apt-get install flent netperf irtt build-essential flex bison
> git clone https://github.com/dtaht/sch_cake
> git clone https://github.com/dtaht/tc-adv
> git clone https://github.com/dtaht/fq_codel_fast
> git clone https://github.com/dtaht/fq_codel_fast
> git clone https://github.com/tohojo/sqm-scripts
>
> for i in sch_cake tc-adv fq_codel_fast sqm-scripts
> do
> cd $i; make; make install; cd ..
> done
>
> tc qdisc replace dev eth0 root cake sce bandwidth 40mbit
>
> # Client side test
>
> tcpdump -i eth0 -s 128 -w mylocationinfo.cap
> flent -H  cake-sce-de.teklibre.net -l 20 -t my_location_info
> --te=download_streams tcp_ndown
> killall tcpdump
>
> Go looking at the cap for sack, drops, reorders, and the sce bit being excerted.
>
> (flent's --socket-stats option got broken in a recent tc release which
> we need to fix for that and qdisc stats)
>
> if you are running your own server, you can now also see the
> sce marking rate via:
>
> tc -s qdisc show dev eth0
>
> qdisc cake 8002: root refcnt 2 bandwidth 40Mbit diffserv3
> triple-isolate nonat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms raw
> overhead 0 sce
>
>  Sent 37542361 bytes 25522 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 30923 requeues 0)
>  backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
>  memory used: 124568b of 4Mb
>  capacity estimate: 40Mbit
>  min/max network layer size:           42 /    1514
> [...]

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740