[Cake] Cake implementations

Adam Moffett adam at plexicomm.net
Fri Nov 22 06:07:54 EST 2019

>>  Are there any commercial products already using Cake?
>
>Evenroute, eero, ubnt top that list. Evenroute's implementation is
>superb, the first one that used active line measurements to handle
>"sag". Anything derived from openwrt (somewhere between 10-30% of the
>home router market). I'm not sure if preseem is using it or not.
>dd-wrt. Most other things doing "SQM" are doing it via htb + fq_codel.

An idea which was floated was to experiment with routing ISP customer
traffic through a Linux server using cake to improve customer
experience.  Basically like Preseem.  My colleague has toyed with it a
bit in small test cases and was impressed with the outcomes.

He's looked closer than I have, but I'm trying to picture how his idea
would scale.  I believe I'm seeing a CLI tool for configuring policies.
It seems like we'd have to create a middle layer to create/update
policies for customer's IP address based on information obtained from
our AAA and CRM systems.  I can picture some shapes that might take, but
I think it would ultimately have to revolve around scripting the tc
command.  There would be thousands of policies and a policy would be
created/updated whenever a subscriber reconnects (e.g. when a DHCP lease
renews or a RADIUS auth event happens or similar).

Should we even pursue this idea?

Although most staff who would touch this will have studied programming
in college, I would not qualify any of us as "programmers" per se.  My
biggest concern would be hitting a service affecting problem that we
can't solve.

Second concern is that many of our equipment vendors already use Linux.
Even Cisco now in some products.  Maybe we'll waste our time trying to
roll our own solution and then find that a software update from a vendor
next year gives us everything we needed anyway.

-Adam