[Cake] Fighting bloat in the face of uncertinty

Justin Kilpatrick justin at althea.net
Sat Sep 7 20:03:50 EDT 2019

Sadly this isn't a driver, its a point to point wireless device that often seems designed to introduce bloat. I could probably ssh in and configure it to behave properly but that's not very scalable.

Underestimating link capacity dramatically isn't an option as no matter how buttery smooth the experience people still crave those high speedtest numbers.

> In fact I'm unsure as to why changing the AQM parameters would cure it.
>  You may have benefited from an unintentional second-order effect which
> we normally try to eliminate, when the 'target' parameter gets too
> close to the CPU scheduling latency of the kernel.

So you believe that setting the target RTT closer to the path latency was not the main contributor to reducing bloat? Is there a configuration I could use to demonstrate that one way or the other?

--
  Justin Kilpatrick
  justin at althea.net