[Cake] cake memory consumption

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 08:51:00 EDT 2019

Perhaps the differences in memory use are a memory leak of some kind?
If you could run the same number of packets through each configuration
and look at memory use, that might point somewhere.

cake - with gso-splitting - should fragment memory more than the other
alternatives, as will fq_codel_fast with sce enabled.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 1:00 PM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am puzzled as to why fq_codel_fast would use more ram than fq_codel
> would, was sce (gso-splotting) enabled?
>
> similarly, the differences between hfsc and htb are interesting. I
> don't get that either.
>
> How many cake instances are being created?
>
> And for the sake of discussion, what does cake standalone consume?
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 11:22 AM Sebastian Gottschall
> <s.gottschall at newmedia-net.de> wrote:
> >
> > after we found out serious out of memory issues on smaller embedded devices (128 mb ram) we made some benchmarks with different schedulers
> > with the result that cake takes a serious amount of memory. we use the out of tree cake module and we use it class based since we have complex methods of doing qos per interface, per mac addresse or even per
>
> I note that I often thought about having mac address functionality
> might be a valuable mode for cake.
>
> >ip/network. so its not just simple cake on a single interface solution. we made some benchmarks with different schedulers. does anybody have a solution for making that better?
>
> With such complexity required I'd stick to hfsc + fq_X rather than
> layer in cake.
>
> Understanding the model (sh -x the tc commands for, say, hfsc +
> something and htb + something ) your users require, though, would be
> helpful. We tried to design cake so that a jillion optimizations such
> as ack prioritization, per network fq (instead per flow/per host) -
> but we couldn't possibly cover all use cases in it with out more
> feedback from the field.
>
> Still... such a big difference in memory use doesn't add up. Cake has
> a larger fixed memory allocation
> than fq_codel, but the rest is just packets which come from global memory.
>
> Can you point to a build and a couple targets we could try? I am
> presently travelling (in portugal) and won't
> be back online until later this week.
> >
> > HTB/FQ_CODEL ------- 62M
> > HTB/SFQ ------- 62M
> > HTB/PIE ------- 62M
> > HTB/FQ_CODEL_FAST ------- 67M
> > HTB/CAKE -------111M
> >
> > HFSC/FQ_CODEL_FAST ------- 47M
> > HTB/PIE ------- 49M
> > HTB/SFQ ------- 50M
> > HFSC /FQ_CODEL ------- 52M
> > HFSC/CAKE -------109M
> >

> > consider that the benchmark doesnt show the real values. its system overall and does not consider memory taken by the wireless driver for instance which is about 45 mb of ram for ath10k
> > so this makes all even more worse unfortunatly since there is not that many ram left for cake. just about 70mb maybe.
> > Am 08.09.2019 um 19:27 schrieb Jonathan Morton:
> >
> > You could also set it back to 'internet' and progressively reduce the
> > bandwidth parameter, making the Cake shaper into the actual bottleneck.
> > This is the correct fix for the problem, and you should notice an
> > instant improvement as soon as the bandwidth parameter is correct.

> [...]

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740