[Cake] Large number of Flows

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 13:21:46 EST 2020

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 7:52 AM Mike <mike at surfglobal.net> wrote:

> So 1024 is the max queues that it supports as is, so if I had 1500 users with their own traffic shaping setup per user it would be unsupported without recompiling the kernel?  Is there a command to see how many is used and available?

I think we are starting from two very different reference points for
what we can accomplish. Cake's primary use case is for the CPE, or
customer edge router shaping egress and ingress to suit the customers
needs, and usually below the ISPs (badly) shaped rate.

Each cake instance only does one bandwidth, with that 1024 queue default.

If you are looking to have a bandwidth per subscriber managed
centrally, It is certainly feasible and desirable to use cake from the
ISP premise. How I do it is I have one virtual interface per
"subscriber", managed by a route table (e.g. ip route 192.168.1.99 via
dev cust1; ip -6 route aa::bb:cc::/48 via dev cust1) to which I add
the cake instance, bandwidth parameter, etc

Others like preseem do things like a transparent bridge in between the
switch and the edge (dsl bras, etc

You can setup an htb or drr + one instance of cake per subscriber if you like.

> Also I saw on the fq_codel page they talk about issues with cores and netem but Cake doesn’t seem to use netem to delay packets etc based on the man page, so is the core issue still a factor?

Depends on your requirements. htb + anything or cake tend to lock the
processing to a single core. It doesn't in the case I describe above,
but I've not tried to push it past 10Gbit.

--
Make Music, Not War

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC