[Cake] diffserv3 vs diffserv4

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Fri Jul 24 13:42:08 EDT 2020

> On 24 Jul 2020, at 16:56, Justin Kilpatrick <justin at althea.net> wrote:
>
> "sqm-scripts used 3 tiers of priority pretty successfully as does free.fr. - de-prioritization seems a good idea, prioritization not so much."
>
> This is the best comment on why diffserv3 is the default that I could find on bufferbloat.net. I'm interested in hearing about what data (anecdotes welcome) lead to this conclusion.

As someone who is currently trying (but not that hard) to get a diffserv5 implementation in upstream as opposed to a local hack the aim being to have 2 lower than default classes I have some opinion on this.  My use case is straightforward, I want somewhere to put ‘Least Effort’ traffic (eg Bittorrent) as a scavenger class that loses out to my Bulk transfers (backups)   At the other end of things I do want to prioritise Voice (VOIP) above Video (netflix/facetime) above ‘Best Effort’.  LE, BK, BE, VI, VO

The move from diffserv4 to diffserv5 WAS about de-prioritization.

Cheers,

Kevin D-B

gpg: 012C ACB2 28C6 C53E 9775  9123 B3A2 389B 9DE2 334A