[Cake] diffserv3 vs diffserv4

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Sat Jul 25 15:35:20 EDT 2020

I want to apologize for any implication that you, Mr. Darbyshire-Bryant, were a "bellhead". AFAIK, you were quoting a staement from the designers of diffserv4, who apparently still believe in bandwidth division as a metric.

But I understand it might be painful to hear my critique of the diffserv design process.

Just be aware that it's my problem, not yours. I don't mean to offend you. I do, however, feel like the folks who did "design" diffserv (and continue to promote it) completely miss the whole point of why the Internet is architected the way it is. And since they haven't managed to respond to a clue-by-4 yet, I'm tired of just pointing out that the idea doesn't actually achieve any benefits, because no one (literally no one) has evern done a consistent assignment of end-to-end meaning to the various diffserv labels after decades of failed testing.

Since this is a group discussion, and not just a response to you, my comment was aimed at the general group (which is not dedicated to bellhead thinking, thank goodness).

And to be clear, AQM (cake, being an example) is not about bandwidth allocation. It does focus on latency/queueing-delay, for the most part.

Hence my concern that diffserv's fundamental misunderstanding of the responsibility of router queue management might contaminate a very, very important project.