[Cake] Cake, low speed ADSL & fwmark

Jim Geo dim.geo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:41:14 EDT 2020

Hello,

Thank you for all the efforts you have done to make internet usable.

I currently use htb & fq_codel in my low speed ADSL 6Mbps downlink/1 Mbps
uplink. I use fwmark to control both uplink and downlink with good results
in terms of bandwidth allocation. Streaming video is chopping bulk traffic
successfully.

Is setting up cake worth the effort at such low speeds? Would it reduce
latency?

Regarding fwmark can you please elaborate more on the calculations
performed? Man page is not that helpful.

My understanding is this:

I use 1,2,3,4 as marks of traffic.
If I set the mask to 0xffffff[..] the marks will remain unchanged. Then
right shifting will occur for the unset bits, so they will land on tins
1,1,3,1

Can you please correct me? If logical and performed between mask and mark
value?

Thanks,
Jim