[Bloat] [Cake] dslreports is no longer free

Sergey Fedorov sfedorov at netflix.com
Fri May 1 16:09:09 EDT 2020

Great review, Sebastian!

> NETFLIX: fast.com.
>         Pros: allows selection of upload testing, supposedly decent
> back-end, duration configurable
>                 allows unloaded, loaded download and loaded upload RTT
> measurements (but reports sinlge numbers for loaded and unloaded RTT, that
> are not the max)
>         Cons: RTT report as two numbers one for the loaded and one for
> unloaded RTT, time-course of RTTs missing
>         BUFFERBLOAT verdict: incomplete, but oh, so close...

Just a note that I have a plan to separate the loaded latency into
upload/download. It's not great UX now they way it's implemented.
The timeline view is a bit more nuanced, in the spirit of the simplistic
UX, but I've been thinking on a good way to show that for super users as
well.
Two latency numbers - that's more user friendly, we want the general user
to understand the meaning. And latency under load is much easier than
bufferbloat.

As a side note, if our backend is decent, I'm curious what are the backends
for the speed tests that exist that are great :)

SERGEY FEDOROV

Director of Engineering

sfedorov at netflix.com

121 Albright Way | Los Gatos, CA 95032