[Cake] Playing with ingredients = ruined the CAKE

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Sun May 31 13:08:16 EDT 2020

> On 31 May 2020, at 17:38, John Yates <john at yates-sheets.org> wrote:
>
> Kevin,
>
> I am curious how this effort relates to Dave Taht's point in his May
> 20th "not really huge on EF landing where it does in wifi" thread.
>
> /john

Hi John,

I have absolutely no idea, don’t appear to have that thread :-) My own DSCP/CAKE interests are aligned to exercising CAKE’s built-in classification/bandwidth allocations across my WAN link.  In essence I have traffic types of ‘Least Effort’ (bittorrent - nearly starvable), ‘Bulk’ (backups/long term up/downloads - low minimum b/w), ’Normal’ (Most short term stuff - all bandwith), VI (video conference calls/streaming, long-term more important flows latency important- up to 1/2 b/w), VO (voice/latency critical up to 1/4 b/w).  Or two levels of ’not so important’ and two levels of ‘more important’ around normal/everything.

The classification process happens as a combination of iptables/ipsets rules on the internet router using tc act_ctinfo to preserve the DSCP classification of flows across the WAN.

Cheers,

Kevin D-B

gpg: 012C ACB2 28C6 C53E 9775  9123 B3A2 389B 9DE2 334A