[Cake] bringing up a new router/connection

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed Feb 3 16:24:32 EST 2021

I finally got a decent speed connection (cablemodem 600/35) to supplement my dsl
(8/1) and am trying to test it's current performance before I install/configure
cake and am running into some grief. I am hoping to get some pointers to find
the bottleneck.

the ISP devices have bad bufferbloat, ping times go from ~20ms to 8.8.8.8 to t
least 120ms, and I saw one time when they went to 1200ms

I'm using a c2600 router running the current openwrt
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tp-link_archer_c2600_v1 and have mwan3
configured to provide failover between my wan connections.

I have a block of static addresses for the router with the ISP router in bridge
mode

when plugged directly into the ISP router, I am getting the advertised speeds,
when going through the c2600 I top out at 200-300Mb download and 10-15mb upload

eth0.2 is the high speed cablemodem

# tc qdisc
qdisc noqueue 0: dev lo root refcnt 2
qdisc mq 0: dev eth0 root
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target
5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
qdisc mq 0: dev eth1 root
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target
5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
qdisc noqueue 0: dev br-lan root refcnt 2
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth1.1 root refcnt 2
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth0.4 root refcnt 2
qdisc noqueue 0: dev wlan0 root refcnt 2
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth0.2 root refcnt 2

David Lang