[Cake] [Bloat] Fwd: [Galene] Dave on bufferbloat and jitter at 8pm CET Tuesday 23

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Feb 24 05:51:42 EST 2021

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:

> wow, that is (predictably) miserable, even with cake. The only
> solution that is going to
> work is to somehow actively monitor your link quality and adjust cake
> to suit. Or we can start trying to use kathie's passive ping tools.

We have a PhD student working on a BPF-based implementation of pping:
https://github.com/xdp-project/bpf-examples/tree/master/pping

My hope is that this can end up being an always-on thing that runs on
the router and can be used to adjust the CAKE parameters as latency
spikes.

There are still a few rough edges on the implementation (most notably
the data output can become quite high), but it should otherwise be
usable, so feel free to take it for a spin. Needs a fairly recent LLVM
(10+ IIRC) to compile the BPF parts.

-Toke