[Cake] [Bloat] Fwd: [Galene] Dave on bufferbloat and jitter at 8pm CET Tuesday 23

Taraldsen Erik erik.taraldsen at telenor.no
Thu Feb 25 03:18:18 EST 2021

This is getting rather rather Telenor internal and probably is not true for other ISP's, but here we go.  Mobile Broad Band (MBB) is handled by Telenor's Mobile division. Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) is handled by Telenors Fixed division (the same group who does DSL, DOCSIS and GPON).  To further complicate matters, Telenor Group (holding company for Telenor Fixed and Telenor Mobile) deiced to launch FWA before the new value chain was ready.  So we have two versions of FWA - internally called FWA1 and FWA2.  FWA1 (which you have Nils) is not fully compliant with the regulatory definition of a fixed access and has very limited management support (technical monitoring, firmware upgrades etc).  I'm working on the FWA2 value chain and devices.

I assume you are doing the tests on Ethernet, not wifi?  I know the B818 has some wifi issues as well.  To isolate the LTE access I mean.

Yes interesting to see the signal stats from the device, but not needed.  More for my curiosity to compare with the Zyxel devices.

So with subscription limited to 30Mbit and probably radio head room up to ~70Mbit downstream and 10Mbit upstream.  My guess is that you will see more latency in the upstream direction.  I believe the B818 has the very typical "1000 packets fifo, never drop" implementation.

-Erik