[Cake] [Bloat] Really getting 1G out of ISP?

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Thu Jul 8 15:56:25 EDT 2021

As a data point, I run Cake on a "Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N2930  @ 1.83GHz" with 2 cores, and 1 GB/sec cable modem network. My "router board" has two GigE ports, doesn't have WiFi. It uses Fedora 34 Server as its basis, runs dnsmasq for the main LAN serving DNS, DHCP, and running a Hurricane Electric /56 tunnel for v6.

Doing testing with RRUL or various high-end web speed tests, I get full 1 GHz (usually >950 Mb/s throughput) download performance through it, and minimal bufferbloat (A+ on the speed tests that measure bufferbloat).. I also get full upload speed with no bufferbloat.

This, I believe, is a much slower board, with fewer cores, than the Odyssey. It never comes close to saturating one of the cores.

I long ago gave up on trying to reflash consumer WiFi routers to serve as home gateway. (and now that cpus and memory are incredibly cheap, the proper architecture is not to bundle two unrelated functions into a single processor anyway, just have two boxes for the two functions)

I do use them inside my premises as APs. Life is too short. As APs, they are limited by the damn WiFi chipsets and drivers, with their poor packet scheduling, which is not solved by Cake. That's a WiFi layer problem of queuing and scheduling in the MAC layer, and I think the WiFi chip vendors have been clueless for at least a decade, and show no sign of getting a clue, sad to say. They live in proprietary land, and really have no interest in fixing the MAC layer as long as they can claim extreme throughput in an artificial scenario between two points with no cross traffic.