[Cake] [Bloat] Little's Law mea culpa, but not invalidating my main point

Holland, Jake jholland at akamai.com
Fri Jul 9 18:57:18 EDT 2021

Hi David,

That’s an interesting point, and I think you’re right that packet arrival is poorly modeled as a Poisson process, because in practice packet transmissions are very rarely unrelated to other packet transmissions.

But now you’ve got me wondering what the right approach is.  Do you have any advice for how to improve this kind of modeling?

I’m thinking maybe a useful adjustment is to use Poisson start times on packet bursts, with a distribution on some burst characteristics? (Maybe like duration, rate, choppiness?)  Part of the point being that burst parameters then have a chance to become significant, as well as the load from aggregate user behavior.

And although I think user behavior is probably often ok to model as independent (outside of a background average that changes by time of day), in some contexts maybe it needs a 2nd overlay for bursts in user activity to address user-synchronizing events...  But for some problems I expect this kind of approach might still miss important feedback loop effects, and maybe for some problems it needs a more generalized suite of patterns besides a “burst”.  But maybe it would still be a step in the right direction for examining network loading problems in the abstract?

Or maybe it’s better to ask a different question:
Are there any good exemplars to follow here?  Any network traffic analysis (or related) work you’d recommend as having useful results that apply more broadly than a specific set of simulation/testing parameters, and that you wish more people would follow their example?

Also related: any particular papers come to mind that you wish someone would re-do with a better model?

Anyway, coming back to where that can of worms opened, I gotta say I like the “language of math” idea as a goal to aim for, and it would be surprising to me if no such useful information could be extracted from iperf runs.

A Little’s Law-based average queue estimate sounds possibly useful to me (especially compared across different runs or against external stats on background cross-traffic activity), and some kind of tail analysis on latency samples also sounds relevant to user experience. Maybe there’s some other things that would be better to include?

Best regards,
Jake