[Cake] ISP Implementation

Thomas Croghan tcroghan at lostcreek.tech
Wed Mar 3 20:54:30 EST 2021

So, a beta of Mikrotik's RouterOS was released some time ago which finally
has Cake built into it.

In testing everything seems to be working, I just am coming up with some
questions that I haven't been able to answer.

Should there be any special considerations when Cake is being used in a
setting where it's by far the most significant limiting factor to a
connection? For example: <internet> --10 Gbps Fiber -- <ISP Router> --10
Gbps Fiber -- [ISP Switch] -- 1 Gbps Fiber -- <500 Mbps Customer>
In this situation very frequently the "<ISP Router>" could be running Cake
and do the bandwidth limiting of the customer down to 1/2 (or even less) of
the physical connectivity. A lot of the conversations here revolve around
Cake being set up just below the Bandwidth limits of the ISP, but that's
not really going to be the case in a lot of the ISP world.

Another question would be based on the above:

How well does Cake do with stacking instances? In some cases our above
example could look more like this: <Internet> -- [Some sort of limitation
to 100 Mbps] -- <ISP Router> -- 1 Gbps connection- <25 Mbps Customer X 10>

In this situation, would it be helpful to Cake to have a "Parent Queue"
that limits the total throughput of all customer traffic to 99-100 Mbps
then "Child Queues" that respectively limit customers to their 25 Mbps? Or
would it be better to just setup each customer Queue at their limit and let
Cake handle the times when the oversubscription has reared it's ugly head?

To be honest I have a few more questions, but I don't think many people
want to read pages and pages of my ignorance. If my question isn't too
stupid, I would love to ask a few others.