[Cake] Cake: how know 'framing compensation'?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 11:38:19 EDT 2021

> On 3 Sep, 2021, at 6:16 pm, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> the cake mailing list contains answers to your questions.
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 7:05 AM Marco Gaiarin <gaio at sv.lnf.it> wrote:
>>

>> I'm thinking about give Cake a try:
>>
>>        https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/
>>

>> How can i determine my 'framing compensation'? I'm using now an
>> wireless link, terminating the PPPoE link directly on my linux router,
>> via PPPD/PPPOE.
>>
>> So, i'm surely using PPPoE, but pppoe-vcmux or pppoe-llcsnap? How
>> determine it?

In general, you need to set the framing compensation according to the bottleneck link.  If your wireless link is typically faster than your ADSL line, then the ADSL is the right focus.

This is probably helpful to most ADSL users in figuring out their framing type:

	https://www.routertech.org/guides/info/settings-by-country/